ORX is currently seeking two News Researchers to join our ORX News team. The role involves overseeing the timely and high-quality publication of articles, authored by both the researcher and others, while ensuring adherence to our guidelines and standards.
ORX is an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where everyone can be a part of a community where you will belong and thrive.
ORX News Researcher
Assistant Manager, ORX News
Bath, United Kingdom
The ORX News Service launched in October 2012. It is designed to provide banks and insurers with timely content, research and analysis on media reported events where banks have lost over $1 million due to certain failures, such as frauds and fines.
The aim is to help other financial institutions avoid making similar mistakes and therefore avoid losing money. All such losses will need to be identified, summarised, checked and then published. Typically, the process for a single story should take 24-72 hours from identification to publication. There are now around 10,000 stories in the ORX News database, which continues to enjoy strong customer growth. More information is available at here.
You will use your strong research and writing skills to identify and summarise operational risk loss events for inclusion in the ORX News Service in line with our guidelines/standards, using publicly available online sources covering the global financial services industry, such as newspapers and regulator websites. Where possible you will use your language skills to identify events in international media. Using your analytical skills and increasing understanding of complex financial concepts to produce, you will write stories based on what you find. You will also provide quality assurance on colleagues’ stories before publication. And you may additionally undertake analysis of the data and work on other projects as required.
Principal duties and responsibilities
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Research and analyse the stories produced by the daily searches
- Produce one-page summaries of the events for publication including classification by characteristics such as type of loss, e.g. fraud or a fine
- Ensure a high level of quality in writing, proofreading and quality assuring, following guidelines and procedures
- Check content produced by other team members, including fact checking, editing and proofreading
- Produce Excel reports analysing trends in the ORX News data
- Produce in-depth reports (Deep Dives) on specific topics such as particularly large or unusual losses
- Ensure the publication of summaries is efficient and timely
- Assist with other projects as required
The main competencies required for this role are:
- Planning and organising
- Effective communication
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Teamwork and ability to give and receive feedback
How to apply
How to apply:
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in the role, salary expectations for the role and a copy of your CV.
Find out more about the recruitment process
Find out more about the recruitment process:
- 1st stage of interview process will be a writing exercise for successful screened candidates
- 2nd Stage of interview process will be a formal interview with hiring managers in person in our central office in Bath, if applicable they may test linguistic skills at this stage
- Final stage of interview process will be an informal virtual meeting with Head of ORX Services and other News Assistant Manager – QA
How can I be supported?
You can share any adjustments you need at any stage of the application process by emailing email@example.com . If you have a disability, if you are neurodivergent, or if you have a health condition that may affect you during the application process, we encourage you to discuss adjustments with our people team.Some reasons why candidates may need support include but are not limited to; Physical disability, dyslexia, dyspraxia, hearing/visual impairment, stammer, stutter, anxiety, depression, menopause, and long-term health conditions.
Some examples of adjustments that can be made for candidates include, but are not limited to:
- Additional time to complete online assessments or interviews
- Providing information about assessments during a briefing call
- Adjusted font size or contrast settings on online assessments, exercises, tasks, and presentations.
- Completing assessments via video call rather than online
The support we offer throughout the recruitment process doesn’t end after the application. We know that employees have varying needs in the application process and at work, which is why we want to help employees at ORX get the support they need to thrive.
ORX is committed to providing employees with the tools and support they need, we can consider adjusting, removing, or reducing any barriers you might face if you have a disability, health concern, or mental health condition.
Workplace adjustments (or accommodations) help us do this and can be considered for all our employees.
Some of the adjustments we’ve provided for our employees include but are not limited to:
- Ordering specialist equipment (like assistive technology and ergonomic furniture)
- Adjustments to objectives or targets
- Changing working arrangements, using flexible working or regular breaks
What else do we offer
We offer a hybrid working (mix of remote and office working) built around your role and your home life commitments wherever possible. Days in the office are 10 per quarter.
- Competitive salary
- Discretionary performance related bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday a year, increasing by 1 day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- 8% company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Life assurance
- Cycle to Work
- Health cash plan
- Perks at work scheme
- Gym discounts
- Employee assistance programme
- Holiday trading
- Sabbaticals and long service awards
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
Download more information about the position
Click the download button below to read the full job description.